The State Historical Society of Missouri's collection is non-circulating; however, an interlibrary loan (ILL) service makes microfilm available to patrons who cannot visit one of our research centers in Columbia, St. Louis, Rolla, Kansas City, Springfield, or Cape Girardeau. The Society's circulating microfilm collections include:
- selected high-demand county history books
- city and county directories
- land ownership maps
Find the resource you need using the following:
- To find a newspaper, use the Society's catalog of Missouri Newspapers on Microfilm at the State Historical Society
- To find a manuscript, you can do a keyword search on the Introduction to the Manuscript Collection page. Alternatively, you can browse by subject headings. Please remember that the collection will only be available through interlibrary loan if it is on microfilm.
- To find city directories, maps, or periodicals, use the Society's Guide to Selected Holdings on Microfilm at the State Historical Society of Missouri
- Use MERLIN - The Univ. of Missouri's Online Catalog to search for books, journals, atlases and other titles including the Society's newspaper collection.
Then provide your local interlibrary loan librarian with the item citation.
For newspapers a citation includes:
- town of publication
- title of the newspaper
- the date or time period needed
- the roll number
For manuscripts a citation includes:
- title of collection
- collection number
- folder, volume, and/or roll numbers
For material other than newspapers, you will need to provide:
- publication date
- call number (if possible)
The resources mentioned above will help you obtain this information.
Check with your local library regarding ILL policies.
The Society charges an ILL fee depending upon your membership level and geographic location:
- Non-members pay $15.00 for loans within the United States, $25.00 for international loans to their local library.
- Members of the Society pay a discounted rate of $13.50 for microfilm loans to be sent to their local library.
- Direct microfilm loaning to a member’s home address is available for $10.00 to those who join the Society at the Supporting, Sustaining, Patron, or Life membership levels.
For covering the cost of an ILL fee, please check with your local library. Some borrowing libraries pass this cost on to the patron, others do not. Payment of the ILL fee is required in advance of the loan.
Instructions for Interlibrary Loan librarians:
- Any public or college library may borrow a maximum of two reels of SHS microfilm at a time (Some restrictions may apply). Note the limit is two reels per library, rather than two per patron. The loan period is two weeks. A new request will not be shipped until the current loan is received at the Society.
- We require the standard ALA request form. If you do not have the standard form, you may use the Society's ILL form to submit requests.
You may use this form or:
- Payment is required in advance
- We ship via UPS. Please supply your library’s complete mailing address including street address. (The United Parcel Service cannot deliver to post office boxes.) Without a street address, the Society must charge an additional $15.00 service fee.
- Please return all interlibrary loan materials in sturdy cardboard boxes. Do not use Jiffy mailers.
- Ensure that borrowed SHS materials are used within the confines of the borrowing library's building.
- Note that the borrowing library is responsible for replacement or repair costs for any damage done to the interlibrary loan materials.
- The Society regrets that it cannot place any material on reserve.
Questions concerning the Society's interlibrary loan service can be directed to email@example.com.